Are you tired of the headaches that nag you every now and then? Do you feel dehydrated on a regular basis? Does your place constantly seem hot to you, regardless of the temperature outside? If you find yourself nodding your head in affirmation to all of the above-mentioned questions, then humidity might be the culprit behind these problems.
A quick solution to your humidity-related problems is a dehumidifier. With an efficient dehumidifier at your side, you can easily counter an overly humid environment in the blink of an eye!
What is a Dehumidifier?
We all know what a humidifier is, but what about a dehumidifier?
Dehumidifiers can be described as devices that work to diminish the effect of humidity in your surroundings. They operate much in the same way as an air conditioner would do, but without the cooling effect. Dehumidifiers follow a brilliantly designed plan of action. The moisture laden air enters the device, and is then passed through chilled coils. Here, the water vapors condense, and are subsequently collected in a drip pan. Later, the dry air is recirculated into the atmosphere.
Why Should You Invest in a Dehumidifier?
Even though people pay to create a humid environment in their homes, an excessive amount of humidity can become a dilemma in itself. It can be the root of severe health-related issues. However, a dehumidifier can make matters up in the following few ways:
- Regulating Humidity Levels – Dehumidifiers neither let humidity levels climb high nor do they let them hit an all-time low, rather Dehumidifiers monitor and control the humidity levels within a room according to the dampness in the atmosphere.
- Does Not Cool the Air – If you think that a dehumidifier is the same thing as an air conditioner, then think again. Even though these devices remove moisture from the circulating air; they do not cool it. This feature makes them a great choice to have in places where you don’t need excessively cooled air.
- Limit Molds and Mildew – Fungal hyphae, such as molds and mildew, love to thrive in humid places. Dehumidifiers can come handy in preventing their growth and in keeping your environment clean and fresh.
- Preventing odors – Moisture laden air tends to smell of the putrid stench. Such an odor is not only repulsive to the nose, but it can also affect your health in unpleasant ways. A dehumidifier can limit the diffusion of these foul odors, and keep your surroundings free from them.
- Put an End to Poor ventilation – A lack of proper ventilation in the air can contribute to the formation of rust in your electronics and staleness in bread or other edible items. Dehumidifiers do not allow the accumulation of stagnant air in a room, rather they promote a steady circulation of moisture-free air into the room that guarantees a fresher environment.
Best Dehumidifiers Reviews For 2018
1. hOmeLabs Small Dehumidifier With Auto Shut Off
This compact dehumidifier by hOmeLabs is a perfect choice for travellers or people looking for desk or small room dehumidifier. It has 500 ml capacity tank which can extract upto 250 ml of moisture daily. The dehumidifier offers Auto Shut Off feature when the tank is full. Its just 8.5 inches in height making it the best portable dehumidifier.
This mini dehumidifier is also a perfect choice for bathroom to avoid moldy, mildew ick after showers. It keeps bathroom dries and prevent fog on mirrors. And the best thing is you can plug in it any regular socket.
This compact dehumidifier works silently without disturbing people near by. Its ideal for space up to 150 square feet. Its 25W ETL certified adapter makes it a great energy efficient dehumidifier as well as its peltier technology prevents from any molds or dampness.
- Compact & Protable
- Quite Operation
- Best for Small Places
- 500 ml tank
- Not for larger areas
- If you are living in a very humid place, the tank needs to be emptied every day
2. Frigidaire FAD504DWD Energy Star 50-pint Dehumidifier
The frigidaire energy star dehumidifier is a perfect choice for medium to large rooms and bedrooms. It will protect your home from unwanted molds and mildews. It also helps you remove excessive moisture in air, making even a hot summer day bearable. It can absorb upto 50 pints (23.5 litres) of excessive moisture every day.
Another great feature of this dehumidifier is its anti-bacterial feature that helps to reduce bacteria in the air that might make breathing difficult. Its full featured electric console makes it effortless to control humidity levels in your room. The digital display shows the current level of humidity level in your room and its 6 ft long cord makes it easy to place it wherever you want.
The dehumidifier is not travel friendly but its caster wheels and top handle makes it portable and easy to move it from one room to another room. Its energy star technology makes it a good energy efficient dehumidifier.
A perfect choice for medium to larger rooms.
- Best for Medium to Large Rooms
- Auto Shutoff when full
- 50 pint (23.5 L) capacity
- LED display showing current level of humidity
- Eliminate bacteria & reduce odor in the air
- Not travel friendly
- Need space
3. KEDSUM FCC Approved Small Thermo-Electric Dehumidifier For Small Rooms
This elegant and compact dehumdifer is a perfect combination of perormance and design. It is easy to carry and its small size makes it a perfect trvel friendly and protable dehumidfier. It features Ultra-Quiet whisper technology that offers less than 35 dba sound and can absorb upto 8.8 ounces of excessive moisture per day.
This mini dehumidifier is perfect for small areas upto 1200 cubic feet. It not helps excessive humidity but also removes odours and fungus from air. The dehumidifier will automatically shut off when its 17.6oz capacity water tank becomes full thus preventing any burning.
Its simple one button function makes it easy to operate. It comes with a DC adaptor that uses very low energy. Its a high efficiency and compact dehumidifier that can helps you in maintain the ideal humidity level all day.
- Best for small areas
- Auto Shutoff when full
- 500 ml capacity
- Portable 7 Travel friendly
- One button controls
- Not suited for areas bigger than 1200 cubic feet
4. SIEGES Portable Electric Quietest Dehumidifier
Do you want a better and healthier indoor environment? Invest in SIEGES Dehumidifier then! It works really well to combat against humidity, and the associated problems. Let’s take a look at some of its incredible features by reading below!
SIEGES Dehumidifier is highly portable, and has a mini size of 16*10*26 cm. It weighs around 2.7 pounds, which makes it easier to carry around, and to relocate anywhere you want. This device is suitable for small spaces with an area of 22sq.ft. Moreover, it can conveniently be used in bedrooms, kitchens, bathrooms, closets, and offices. Despite the small size and the portability factor; this model is quite powerful, and highly efficient in terms of removing excess humidity, and giving you an improved living environment. With the help of its air inlet and outlet feature, it eradicates dust mites, mold or mildew, and any types of odors.
Another cool factor of this efficient machine is that, it automatically shuts off when its tank gets full, and stays powered off until the user removes water. So, you don’t need to worry even if you are out of home because the water won’t spill. It also has an LED indicator, which goes yellow – exhibiting the need to remove excess water. This dehumidifier has a water tank capacity of 700 ml that leads to the excellent results for a very long time. Plus, you don’t have to empty the tank very frequently as it can operate up to 48 hrs. This product lets you reap the benefits of a dehumidifier without any irritating noise. In addition to this, it has a fan speed of 2600 RPM that removes moisture without any noise. Basically, you can stay healthy without any sounds that can hinder you from sleeping or working peacefully. How awesome is that?
- Removes moisture from the air by reducing dampness
- Eliminates musty odors from the environment
- Features a detachable 24 oz. water tank
- LED indicator to show if the tank is full, or the water level is increasing
- Auto shut-off feature to shut off the device if the water exceeds
- Ideal for home or office use
- Quite in operation as the noise is below 40dB
- Compact and small in size so it can fit anywhere
- Highly portable and lightweight, thus easy to relocate from one room to another
- Price is quite low, and is affordable for a majority
- The SIEGES Dehumidifier is only apt for places with an area of 22sq.ft, and doesn’t yield good results in rooms larger than this.
5. Costway Portable Energy Star Dehumidifier
Humidity can cause a lot of trouble in the form of a damp/uncomfortable environment, mold and mildew, musty smells, and various health issues. Costway Portable Energy Star Dehumidifier can help you get rid of all these problems efficiently and effortlessly. Read on, and find out how it can bring value to your life
This dehumidifier is excellent in terms of portability and efficiency. It is quite compact and lightweight; therefore; you can easily place it anywhere you want. This machine features smooth rolling caster wheels, which make it even easier to take the humidifier from one room to another. Moreover, it is a lightweight device, but quite powerful and efficient in eliminating humidity. It has the capacity to even remove 50 pints of moisture in a day. Also, Costway Star Humidifier provides great flexibility in terms of fan speed. You can choose from high, mid and low speed, based on your preferences. In short, this machine is an excellent blend of quality, versatility and efficiency. What else do you need?
This model enables you to adjust humidity levels from 35% to 80%. It has a large water tank that can contain 8 liters of water, which means that you don’t have to empty the bucket every now and then. Also, it features a bucket-full indicator light, which signals the need for emptying it. This product comes with detachable water tank, and an easy-to-clean filter that ensures that you never breathe any harmful particles throughout the day. The electronic controls also make the product user-friendly and easy to use. Costway dehumidifier is a solution to multiple issues faced due to humidity. It is pretty quiet as compared to other products in the same price range. You can easily sleep or work while the dehumidifier is working. The best thing? Price of this model is quite reasonable and affordable.
- Lightweight, compact design and is easy to relocate because of 4 smooth-rolling wheels
- Features 3 fan speeds; adjustable from low to high.
- 8L tank capacity
- It has the ability to reduce humidity level in a room, from 35% to 80%
- Capable of removing 50 pints if moisture from air in the humid months
- Bucket-full indicator light to notify when the bucket needs to be emptied
- Device automatically stops working when the bucket is full
- Prevents dust, molds, mildew, allergens, and odors
- Reduces bacteria
- Filter is easy to clean
- Durability issues have been reported regarding this product.
What Type of a Dehumidifier Should you Buy?
Dehumidifiers can work in two distinct ways to remove dampness from the atmosphere. You can either invest in a refrigerant dehumidifier, or a desiccant dehumidifier. Both of these types have several pros, and some cons to their names, but they both function equally well.
1. Refrigerant Dehumidifier
Such a dehumidifier follows the working principle of a refrigerator. The humid air enters this dehumidifier and then passes through cooling coils. The coils lower the temperature of the water vapors, which then condense, trickle down and are collected into a drip pan. After the vapors have been removed from the air; it is heated to a certain temperature, dried out and then recirculated into the room.
2. Desiccant Dehumidifier
Just as the name suggests, this dehumidifier consists of desiccant material that is responsible for the absorption of moisture and water vapors. The desiccant material is made up of silica gel. Note that, the silica gel is well known for its quality of absorbing and holding up water vapors.
The humidity in the air is absorbed by a rotor that is lined with desiccant material, and the dry air is then warmed to room temperature. This warm and dry air is then released into the atmosphere.
What to Consider When Buying a Dehumidifier?
Before you make the final decision, stop and think for a second. Does a particular dehumidifier fit your bill? Does it have all the qualities that you are looking for in such a product?
There are a few factors that you need to consider before buying a dehumidifier. The following few aspects will come handy in making the right choice!
Size does matter! And, with a dehumidifier, you don’t want to opt for a freakishly small device to dehumidify an elephantine-sized room. Before you set out to your nearest electronic store, get a rough estimate of the area that needs to be dehumidified, and then decide on the size of your dehumidifier accordingly.
Study a manufacturer’s manual to get an idea about the types of Dehumidifiers that are available, and the amount of area that they can cover.
How much condensed water can a drip pan hold? An ideal dehumidifier should have a large drip pan or similar container that can accommodate a large amount of condensed water in it, and does not need to be emptied out every now and then.
However, a large drip-pan capacity comes with an equally large price tag. Such a Dehumidifier could cost twice as much as a smaller one, but it is totally worth each penny!
Humidity levels keep fluctuating throughout the year. This is why, you need to get your hands on a dehumidifier that features a humidistat. This way, you will have the power to control the inflow of fresh and dry air, according to the humidity levels within the atmosphere.
If there are multiple spots in your house that always remain damp, then the ability to move your dehumidifier around your place would offer a great deal of assistance to you. Most people who cannot invest in a whole house dehumidifier system, find a mobile device to be a life saver. Such a product should be light in weight, and it should also come with wheels so that it can be towed around the house without any difficulty.
A noiseless dehumidifier would be a blessing to your ears! Most of these machines feature rotors and drying fans that can generate a lot of noise. However, many manufacturers recognize this problem, which is why they have come up with designs that make little to no noise.
Make sure to check your product for any unnecessary noise or sound, before you buy it.
Replacing filters after every few months can cost you a lot of money. Therefore, investing in a dehumidifier that consists of removable and washable filters would be a wise decision for you. Dust and allergens accumulate on filters in no time. Therefore, you should remove them from the main unit and give them a thorough wash on a frequent basis.
Humidity might not seem to be a big problem at first, but it can definitely have devastating reactions on your health. To overcome these health issues, a dehumidifier can be your best friend. Follow this guide to get your hands on the best dehumidifier that is available in the market!