Humidifier, as the name suggests helps to control humidity levels in your surroundings so you don’t have to deal with parched skin and cracked lips all winter long. With the recent advancements, portable and small humidifiers are easily available in the market these days, which you can place either on your side table or your office desk, hence the term ‘desk humidifier’.
However, selecting and then purchasing the right model can be a daunting task itself with so many varieties to choose from. In this article, you will get answers of all your queries regarding the humidifiers. Read on!
Best Desk Humidifiers Reviews For 2018
1. PureGuardian H920BL Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
PureGuardian H920BL is a compact size cool mist humidifier from Guardian Technologies. This humidifier is perfect for desk or a small size room. It has 2 settings options Low or High. These settings control the operation of generating mist. With low setting, this humidifier can run for up to 10 hrs, enough for a peaceful sleep without any discomfort caused from dry air.
A great feature of this humidifier is Silver Clean Protection technology. Basically this feature reduces the growth of mold or mildew on surface of water tank. It also helps in reducing any odour after continuous usage. The humidifier disperse soothing and fine mist in air. It works very quietly so you won’t hear a sound when you are using it while sleeping.
The PureGuardian desk humidifier is almost 11 inches in height and the container has approx 0.22 gallon water capacity which provides 2.4L of moisture. It features an LED light too which also helps in indicating when the water tanks get empty. Also the humidifier switches off automatically once its empty.
- Automatic shutdown when empty
- Mold reducing technology
- Ultrasonic and Cool Mist
- LED light with on/off switch
- Tank empty notification
- Runs for 10 hrs on low setting with full tank
- Run for approx 4 hrs on high settings
- Makes a beep sound when empty
- Might be difficult to clean
2. Penguin Mini Cool Mist Desk Humidifier
This Mini Cool Mist Humidifier is another good option for desk. The most significant features of this humidifier is its noiseless operation & small size. Its operating noise is less than 15 decibels which means very very quite. Its a cool mist humidifier with ultra sonic technology that disperse the mist effectively and also makes it easier for skin to absorb.
It weighs only 0.30 lbs (140g) which means you can even carry it in your handbag or backpack. It runs via a USB connection. You can either use laptop USB connection, a power bank or any USB charger directly. Its very compact and comes with 2 light settings. In essence, its a small and good desk humidifier for short usage.
The only drawback of this awesome portable humidifier is its operation duration. It will only work for 3 – 4 hrs max. Doesn’t matter how much water remains in the tank. So it can be used on desk and for shorter duration only. Other than that, the humidifier works pretty great.
- Very lightweight and compact
- Travel friendly
- Multiple colours and lighting options
- Ultra quite operation
- Only for 3 hrs usage. It will automatically shut down after 3 hrs.
- You can’t turn off the lights completely.
3. Innoo Tech Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
This humidifier is our favourite due to it aesthetic design and efficiency. Inno Tech comes with this awesome idea of designing the humidifier in a compact table lamp style and the end result is just beautiful. But there’s more; its operation is as awesome as its design. The humidifier offers a great feature i.e. 360° Rotatable Mist Outlet. This feature let you direct the mist in any angle you want. It helps you with issues like dry skin or nasal allergies and keeps your skin fresh.
The humidifier comes with all the standard features you need in a perfect desk humidifier such as auto shut off, a soothing blue led light and adjustable mist amount. It also offers whisper quite operation thus it can also acts as a perfect bedroom humidifier.
It has 2 L of water capacity that gives you almost 12 hrs of operation. The dual mist settings makes it suitable for even a medium sized room. It also offers Automatic shut-off feature however 12 hrs will be more than enough for most of us.
- Best Performance
- 12 hrs of operation
- Dual mist amount settings
- Beautiful design
- Quiet operation
- Auto shut-off to prevent the burning of humidifier
- Large and a bit heavy (1 kg)
- Not suitable for travel
4. Pure Enrichment MistAire Humidifier
Pure Enrichment MistAire Humidifier is a premium humidifying unit that offers whisper quite operation and effective performance. It is a perfect choice for people looking for longer hours of operation as it offers upto 16 hrs of continuous working with its 1.5L water tank.
The Mistaire humidifier offers two speed settings so you can adjust the mist output according to your needs. It’s suitable for a small to medium size room or office. It also offers a soothing light option which can be turned off. Like others, it offers an Auto Shut Off feature which basically shuts down the humidifier when the water level is low. This helps preventing the humidifier from running dry and burning. The mist nozzle is rotatable so you can direct the mist flow wherever you want, It comes with an AC adapter so you don’t need a USB connection.
PureEnrichment is a California based company with very positive reputation about its products, and the MistAire Humidifier lives upto that reputation. Its a perfect humidifier for bedroom or office desk.
- 16 hrs of conitnous operation
- Very quite operation
- 1.5 L capacity large tank
- Auto shut off feature
- Rotatable mist nozzle
- Dual speed settings
- Soothing Light
- A bit large in size
- Weighs almost 1.25 kg
Benefits of a Desk Humidifier
Restoration of humidity in the surroundings not only helps to combat dry and cracked skin, but it is significant in many other ways. Few of the benefits are as follows
- Reduced episodes of headache; you often experience a persistent headache in winter as a result of dry and blocked sinuses. Restoration of normal levels of moisture means no more dry sinuses.
- Fewer chances of catching up on season allergies and infection; Viruses thrive better in the low-humid environment. Hence, the risk of infections increases in winters. Additionally, few humidifiers are specifically engineered to reduce the risk of psoriasis and eczema such as the one infused with Vicks.
- Well-maintained furniture; in dry and non-humid places, wooden doors and furniture wear off easily. Therefore, the humidity helps in preserving their integrity.
- Fresh and Healthy Plants; your indoor plants don’t have to suffer anymore because of the dry and harsh weather.
- Clears sinuses and throats, which further assist you to have a deep and tranquil sleep as well.
Risks associated with a Desk Humidifier
Even though, a desk humidifier helps in combating viral infections. If the humid levels go unchecked, and the device isn’t cleaned on a regular basis; it can give rise to a number of problems, such as these:
- The growth of mold and bacteria in your house; this can further give rise to fungal and bacterial infections.
- If the device goes unchecked while heating up, and you are careless while handling it, you might end up burning yourself.
- The ultrasonic humidifier throws dust, which can be hazardous and can lead to difficulty in breathing, mainly if you are an asthma patient.
- Few humidifiers produce a humming sound while operating that can easily aggravate few people, especially someone who has a predisposition to a migraine. Other than that, it’s just a minor issue.
Types of Desk Humidifiers – How Do They work?
Depending on the type of humidifier, all of them serve to increase the humidity or moisture in the surroundings. Few of them are mentioned below along with their mechanism. In order to help you make the right choice on the basis of cost, lifestyle as well as your health, mentioned below are also the pros and cons of all three of them. Have a look
Cool Mist or Evaporative Humidifier
As the title implies, it works through the mechanism of evaporation. It comprises of:
- A reservoir; you have to fill this with water. When electrically turned on, the water heats up and converts to vapors.
- A porous wick; This absorbs the moisture and serves to provide a large surface area
- A fan; It helps to direct the moisture towards the outlet
- Noise-free, thus perfect for bedrooms, helps you sleep peacefully
- Dust free, which makes it hygienic
- Combats allergies
- Require you to change the filters daily
- Replace water regularly as well
- Clean the whole device every day
Warm Mist or Steam Humidifier
Unlike the cool mist, it works through the process of boiling. The steam produced is then further released to the surroundings.
- Hygienic air – all the germs are killed off by boiling water
- Controlled levels of moisture
- Inexpensive cost
- No added maintenance
- Risk of burning yourself
- Consume more electricity
It utilizes ultrasonic frequency to vaporize water into fog.
- Energy-efficient- no extravagant electricity bills
- Inexpensive cost
- Fine moisture droplets
- Emits a white powder – poses a threat to people with respiratory illnesses
What’s new in the market?
Apart from the traditional desk humidifiers, few brands have altered them in a way that they can do much more than just moisturize your air. Let’s take a look at few of them;
Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser
Perfect to aid you in yoga and meditation, it not only diffuses mist but a sensational fragrance along with it. The aroma is significant in uplifting your spirits, and also helps to alleviate any stress or anxiety.
Vicks Cool Mist Humidifier
The Vicks incorporated in the mist helps to clear your throat and nasal passages. Say no more to sinusitis with this cool mist humidifier
Travel Humidifier Stick
You don’t have to worry about dragging a backpack with you to carry your humidifier. The humidifier stick is mini and portable. Plus, there’s no hassle of filling it with water. Simple take a glass of water, place it in it and plug it into either a USB port or electric port.
If you’re on a tight budget and have no extra time to spend on cleaning and maintaining your appliances; cool mist is not the perfect option for you. Whereas for someone predisposed to health issues, or a place where strict sterile conditions are required let’s say a nursery; the warm mist is the ideal humidifier. It not only regulates humidity, but also provides a germ-free air. Additionally, they don’t have a background noise either, hence perfect for bedrooms as well. However, if you have kids in the house, and you don’t want them to risk burning themselves, then you will have to resort to a humidifier other than a steam mist. After reading this detailed guide, you must be clear with your purchasing decision. Aren’t you?